Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dig out your Gameboy and N64: An Interview With Shirobon


With his new EP "Back Tracking", Shirobon returns to his Chiptune roots. He's about to drop his new song "Trouble" feat. Brandon Marx which I was lucky enough to get a first listen to. The song is the perfect pump up track and i've had it on repeat. 

Read on for the interview, and official artwork for the new EP.



LT:  So I’m just going to come out and ask... since you’re making Chiptune, what’s your favorite Game Boy/ Nintendo 64 game?

S: Gotta be Zelda: Ocarina of Time! I have lost count on how many times I have played that game! 

LT: Is there a theme for this next EP?

S: Somewhat… the EP is called 'Back Tracking'. I started out making Chiptune using a type of music sequencer called a 'tracker'. Since then I have explored some new sounds and used more common audio sequencers for a few years. In this EP I am going back to using the sounds of vintage game consoles and the use of trackers… hence the name 'Back Tracking'.

LT: Who inspires you?

S: There are so many people who inspire me, but to name a few.. She, Daft Punk, Amon Tobin, Boys Noize, Sabrepulse and Henry Homesweet

LT: Tell me about your creative process

S: I don't have any set rules. Most times I start with either drums or a melody and then put in whatever idea's hit me. Every song is different 

LT: I know you’re returning to your roots with this one, but how do you think your style has changed and progressed?

S: Well seeming as I was 17 when my previous chip releases came out and I'm 22 now.. my sound has matured quite a bit. I've learnt a lot more about production and audio tricks on the way too! So it's the same Chiptune style but with a more advanced approach on the production process! 

LT: So you’re bringing Brandon on to be featured, how’d you guys meet?

S: He actually dropped me a message a while ago saying the he loved my stuff.. after taking a listen to his music and liking what I heard we decided it would be a great idea to work on a track together! He's a fantastic singer :)

LT: What kind of feel does he bring to the song?

S: The song I wanted him on needed a bit of commercial touch but with more attitude rather then cheese.. he was the perfect person for it!

LT: What challenges have there been, if any, working collaboratively? 

S: Only challenge is the fact that it's done over seas. I wasn't able to actually be in the studio with him to express my ideas so it took a bit of time sending ideas back and forth and getting it right!

LT: What are your Summer plans, what have you been doing thus far?

S: Release my EP and see more parts of the world! I'm currently polishing of the release and finalizing plans. 

Official EP Artwork
LT: I’ve checked out your sound cloud and I’m super excited for what you have coming out in August, thanks so much for your time!

S: No worries! :-)














I highly recommend checking out his Soundcloud to get a taste of what you're in for.

Get ready for the release of "Trouble" by liking his Facebook Page and following him on Twitter


Brandon Marx who will be featured is also about to put music out, so check out his Facebook by clicking Here and follow him on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment